Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

This weekend was busy. I baked, I saw people, I sang, and most importantly - I had fun.

It was a pretty miserable weekend, weather-wise. Saturday was spent running errands and getting gifts together and baking. Sunday was spent baking, singing and going to a friend's holiday party.

For this party, I figured it would be appropriate to make Penguin cake pops. Now, I collect penguins. Love them. I love their communities, I love how they care for each other, I love how they have no knees.

It was surprisingly easy to make these pops. Please forgive the horrible quality of the photos. Clearly I am not a photographer and obviously I have really awful lighting in my kitchen. I have to figure out how take better pictures. This is just getting embarrassing.

First, I shaped my cake ball. I used the same shape that I used when I made my Halloween ghosts.



 Then I dipped them in blue chocolate. I thought blue penguins would be festive.




Once the blue chocolate was set, I "carved" an oval-ish shape with a toothpick on bellies.




I painted the carved oval with green chocolate (if I was going to have blue penguins I was going all the way with the colors)




When the bellies were set, I started the face details. I used multicolored candy coated mini chocolate chips for the beaks and multicolored sequins for the eyes.




The final touch was giving each psychedelic penguin a different thing to look at.


 


They were a huge hit! This is definitely one to keep in rotation.

I really can't stay. I've got to go 'way.

Have a great one!
FatCat






2 comments:

  1. your penguins are darling, and blue penguins *are* always festive.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. now I can attest that these are just as tasty as they are adorable. Seriously, my H went nutso over them.

    ReplyDelete